Thursday 4 September 2008

Let's get organasised!

Yesterday I had a little clear up in the sewing room. It actually wasn't too bad, except for one corner which holds all my odd bits that don't belong anywhere else.
The worst mess was my two baskets of "odds" - these are hampers that contain small scraps of fabric, bits of interfacing that might be useful and bits of leftover patchwork.
I wish I had taken a "before" picture, but I didn't think.

Anyway, I folded my interfacing neatly, threw away all the tiny scraps (how many teeny bits am I going to need, anyway?). I wanted to work out a way of storing the scrap fabrics neatly. Now, I'm not the best folder so I came up with this:

I figured that the fat quarter sized bits (on the right) could be folded and stacked. I can see what I have and get to it easily without rummaging. I also know that these are big enough bits to be of use.

The best bit though, is the small scrap arrangement. I usually keep these odds that are too small to be useful because it's always handy for checking tension, practising a stitch or seeing how a technique will work before messing up your "real" and expensive fabric. So I thought it doesn't really matter what colour these bits are - it's important to sort them by type. So, I now have rolls of t-shirt fabric, fleece, light cotton, muslin, heavy cotton etc. Now, when I want to check my tension, I just need to select the appropriate roll and take what I need, rather than rummaging in a massive box of bits. Good, eh?

No comments: