Monday 28 January 2008

I must be stopped!




After saying I wasn't going to make any more rings for a while, I just couldn't resist and at the weekend went through all my old bits and bobs to see what else might make a nice ring.


This is what I came up with. It's an original 1941 thrupenny bit (ie 3 old pence).

I'm not sure. I've spoken to a few people who all said yep, quirky and fun. But I don't know if it has a whiff of those crappy, cheapy "sovereign" rings you get in Argos (apologies to anyone who wears one).
I've also made these with foreign coins - there's an Italian one, a Japanese one, and a couple I don't know the origin of. I think what makes these special is the fact the they are GENUINE and actually used by people. I also picked ones that had interesting designs on, so they are decorative too.

So, comments please! Quirky or crap? If you look to the left you will see a poll which I will keep open for a few weeks. Please click the applicable answers. :)
** Adendum, I have now identified all the coins (good old Google). Have a look at Etsy, and tell me what you think.

2 comments:

. said...

Not really my kind of thing, but I can definitley see some people going for it. So I've gone for "quirky". Definitely not crap :)

I'm having Clinky wood flash backs with the mention of those sovereigns though... which is more than a little scary ;)

Joanna said...

not my thing but i agree with marie in quirky not crap. Further to my talking about jewellery making. I have decided to knit wire jewellery!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Could go horribly wrong me thinks